Saturday, September 12, 2009

Beat Beethoven 5k

Jonny (19:08), Melody (23:19), Cami, Drew, Julie, friend Allison Ludlow

When I went in to the rec. center to pick up our numbers, I was so surprised to see Allison, Todd, and Abby Mitton! We talked and talked before and after the race. I have been meaning to visit them for the past month, so I was thrilled to run into one of my favorite families. I'll have to visit their home soon because Alex and Mckay didn't wake up in time to cheer them on at the finish line. I love those Mittons. And what's more, we had triplets to talk about - Em had the babies this morning at 3:00!

As you can see, Jonny and I ran a great race. Rudi opted out of running and kindly volunteered to come anyway and watch the kids for us. Thanks, Rudi! It was pretty fun to run without the stroller, especially since I've been feeling heavy all week. I missed seeing their little faces as I ran, but they greeted me with smiles at the finish line.

There were about 250 runners, so Jonny and I had a good chance of placing at this small race. Jonny was third place overall and first in his division. I was second place overall for women and first in my division. Not bad, I say! (The girl who came in about 20 seconds before me was only 13 years old. Wow!) When the announcer called Jonny up after I had already been up there (you don't forget a last name like ours...) he said we were "A Running Family." I'll take it.

So, we all "beat Beethoven" by crossing the line before the last note of his Fifth Symphony (a little over 32 min.) Great job, everyone. It's really quite fun to run the last stretch with the beautiful classical music blaring. See you next year, Beethoven.

3 comments:

Drew said...

Wups, caught me making a face. I'll just pretend I meant to. It was a fun race! Can you send me the one of me and Julie please? Kthxbai.

Jonny said...

All I can say is that out of 150ish women Melody was #2!!! Of course, I think she's #1.

Cami said...

Not bad?? How can you possibly get better than 1st in your division and top 3 overall? You guys rock.

Also, we are awesome in our matchies. Also, I got my PR, so this was a GOOD race.