Thursday, September 30, 2010

Mike's Mad Dash to Beat Cancer 5k

Jonny pushing Julia and Gabe (20:28), Melody (21:59), Grandma, Mom, Dad, Amber

This was our third year running this race at the AF Hospital. The course is a simple square, but it never seems too long. This year Grandmother was outside of her house cheering us on! I'm sure the kids loved that.

Jonny ran a super fast one, even though he's had an awful cold for the past two weeks. He came in third in his division and eighth overall. (298 runners in all, 10 year divisions.) I also came in third in my division and nineteenth overall. Grandma was second in hers, (Out of 6 60 and older women. She is 79. Wow.) Dad was second in his. And Mom was third in hers. Amber scored a raffle prize so we all came home winners! (See official results here.)

I knew I was running a pretty fast race when my first mile was 6:45. There was a girl running my pace, so I decided to try to keep up with her. As we ran I learned that Alexis, the speedy 10-year-old, is a fellow Manila Mustang. So we had a little to talk about! We ran together off and on until the last mile when she sped ahead and there was no catching her. But if it weren't for her, I don't know that I would've run my new PR. Jonny's cheering at the end also helped me to really sprint at the end. I usually don't have very much left by then, but when I saw that I could beat 22 minutes, I surprised myself by running quite fast through the finish line!

Hey, wait a second. I just realized Jonny set a new PR in this race too. This is his fastest 5k while pushing the kids to date. I guess he really didn't let a cold hold him back. Way to go, Love.

I've been looking at past races and noticing that my times are significantly faster this year- even when pushing the double stroller. I credit this to my half marathon training. Because I had worked up to running longer distances, I have tried to maintain some longer runs since the race. I run five days a week with the kids and do 3-4 miles most days and at least one 5-milers each week. I remember only running 2-2.5 daily miles with Julia a few years ago. So I guess it makes sense that my 5k times are faster. It feels good to set a new PR that is comparable to my Cross Country times. And Jonny just might get back under 19:00 one of these days...

Alexis, my Manila Mustang friend:

No comments: