Friday, July 24, 2009

Pioneer Day Classic 5k

Jonny pushing Julia and Gabe (21:46), Melody (24:07), Grandma, Mom, Cami, Drew, Julie, friends Mike Baird and Troy Wilde

I believe this is our first time running two races within one week. We did okay! Well, actually we both ran quite well. Jonny pushed both kids for his first time and still came in THIRD in his division. And I was really surprised when I saw the clock at the finish line and I was making it under 25 minutes! (That is my usual goal, but as this was my first solo post-Gabe run, I had set a goal for under 27.) I was even more surprised when Dad called me from the awards ceremony with news that I had won first place in my division. Not bad, out of 26 20-24 year olds! Mom won third in her division, and Grandma was first in hers. (As usual! She is generally the only 78-year-old at the race. Incredible.) Although Drew was running bandit, he came in just a few seconds before Jonny and the kids. So Jonny rightfully handed over his third place medal to Drew. Way to go, Chino. Don't worry, Julia still has my medal to play with. Oh, and Cami ran an awesome race as well, cutting off 4 mintues from Saturday's time. Click here to link the full results.

Mike and Troy, two of Jonny's buddies from work, decided to run this one last minute. Way to represent, MarketSplash.

This race was a festive way to start Utah's holiday. Beginning and ending at Timpview High School, it was uphill most of the race. I didn't notice it too much, maybe because I wasn't pushing the kids! Jonny said the gradual incline and hill were not so fun. But Gabe was an angel again and slept the entire race. (After a week of fussy running. Wow.) Julia was SO excited for this race. (I guess last week's Logan race made a big impression on her.) She had been talking about it all day Thursday. She woke up at 4:30 this morning, perhaps in anticipation?! She loves to recall who was there and what she ate and how she went really fast. She's a funny girl.

I guess Gabe isn't too thrilled about getting these pictures taken. Actually, Jonny and Julia don't look too excited either!

3 comments:

Drew said...

Great pictures! Like I said, the first and last time Jonny will ever see my back in a race, and only because he was pushing two kids the whole time, ha. I love your running log!

For the record, I tried to refuse Jonny's medal, but I finally conceded, and truthfully, I was pretty stoked to place for the first time. Yay.

Jonny said...

Dude, Drew beat me and was the real 3rd place finisher. Way to rock it, man, rocketman.

Mike said...

This is awesome. Glad I could be apart of it